Unplanned Accomplishments

>> 6.09.2011

I get distracted really easily. I might be in the middle of cooking dinner one moment, but dusting the room the next just because I catch an unclean surface out of the corner of my eye. And yes, I do burn food more often than I cook it correctly.

To get myself out of the habit, I made a resolution to "finish the projects that I start" in 2011. This meant that I had to go back and patch/ paint the drywall that my cheapo blue tape pulled off while I taped out the mirror's size (reason #233 why I'm sticking with Frog Tape).

Ta-da:

When I veer away from the to-do list (which I had already completed in this case) and start a project out of the blue, I like to call it an "unplanned accomplishment." It's not necessarily a bad thing, it would have probably made the to-do list at some point, but it's just something that I hadn't fully planned on doing. That's what I tell Nate when he comes home and finds things like the bathroom repainted:
I liked the stencils and they were fun to have for the past two years, but Nate always hated them so I figured that I'd go ahead and take care of the project while I had my paintbrushes out.

I think that the new paint color (Olympic's Plantation Moss- left over from guest bedroom) gives off a sophisticated vibe which is okay because it's at least a little balanced by my feather shower curtain:

I was on such a roll that I went ahead and started taking out the stripes in the half bathroom.... which I later found out Nate actually liked. *sigh*
This is maybe why I should think projects through a bit more before I start them.

Anyone else have a habit of starting projects out of nowhere?

Heather June 9, 2011 at 2:35 PM

I start projects out of nowhere all. the. time. My mother is still mad at me for staying up all night while on break from college and exposing the hardwoods in my bedroom. I came home at midnight to find that the window had leaked and the carpet was soaked. It just didn't seem like it could wait until the morning to be ripped out. :)

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog June 9, 2011 at 3:20 PM

@Heather~ I ripped the (ugly) wallpaper down in my bathroom one night during highschool ;).

Kate@TwentySixToLife June 10, 2011 at 6:10 PM

I'm horrible about not finishing stuff. It's just more fun to start projects and get an idea of cool they are than it is to finish up the little details that no one really notices. It does have to happen though which is a bummer...

Anonymous,  June 14, 2011 at 11:53 AM

I like the idea of having a "finish" list because I have the same issue. I have paint I bought for upstairs bathroom with new lights that are still in the box.

DIY Mom

Sara @ Russet Street Reno June 14, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Yep, I start things out of nowhere as well. I think that is just human (or home blogger?) nature!

Sarah June 15, 2011 at 7:21 PM

I start projects out of the middle of nowhere. Usually while I'm avoiding other projects.

In other news -- make/model of both light fixtures of the sinks? They're fabulous.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog June 17, 2011 at 1:10 PM

@Sarah~ The light fixtures are Restoration Hardware (outlet) and Lowe's. The sinks are from the house- painted black with new hardware.

Little Brick Ranch June 30, 2011 at 6:32 AM

These are the best type of accomplishments. I have a habit of doing a full sweep of the house looking for "quick" projects while I am cooking. I too, am a member of the "fix and eyesore while breaking dinner club"! Happy to be your newest follower - I have know idea how I stumbled upon you but so far I like what I see. Stop by and say hi if you get a chance!! :)