The Backyard Budget Breakdown (so far)

>> 7.06.2011

The yard has come a long way in the past year- we've built a garden, installed new sod, and created some granite pathways that lead to a fire pit area. While the work isn't 100% completed and there are a few flower beds that could use a bit of color, I think enough basics are in place to go ahead and break down the budget.

First, let's remember what we started with:

The plan:

The results:

Obviously still some work to do here, but the basics are in place!

The Grass $564.86

New Tools $37.94
Tamper- $32.97
Rubber mallet- $4.97

The Garden Box $128.29
see garden breakdown post

Grand total*= $1497.66
*Excluding plants and future projects such as A/C screens

If I were to do it again...
I would have never guessed that laying new sod (after prepping the area) would have been so easy and relatively cheap. Unfortunately, I also never guessed that the edging for the beds and pathways would have been so expensive. We wanted to plan a good amount of granite and flower bed areas in order to limit the space we'd need to water, but I'm sure there would have been a more efficient way to design the path and bed layouts to minimize the need for those borders!

PS To all of you who were jealous when we had yard work and warm weather while you were buried in snow this past winter... you might be happy to find out that we had to watch our fireworks on T.V. this year due to drought conditions in our area :(.

Elisa @ What the Vita July 6, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Your backyard looks so great - the design looks good and the grass looks healthy despite the drought!

Just FYI, it seems like Buda/Kyle had fireworks... if the drought happens again next year, head south for real fireworks if you want!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog July 6, 2011 at 12:36 PM

@Elisa~ I did hear that about Buda/ Kyle and Georgetown! We didn't really want the long drive home late at night before a work day though. On a more positive note, we did go to our neighborhood parade!

Jenna Scott July 6, 2011 at 1:04 PM

I know they had fireworks in Georgetown, my in-laws live there :) We have drought conditions in Vegas too, but the show must go on since so many people come to visit, lucky us :)

KT @ KT's Refinishing School July 6, 2011 at 2:33 PM

I love the new space! Bummer on the fireworks--growing up in Southern CA and then moving to the Midwest I definitely had to get used to the idea that people light fireworks themselves. I was used to going to big fireworks shows (or having them canceled) due to the dry weather where I live :)

Natalie July 7, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Kasey, I just built a new home and got numerous quotes for landscaping. I guarantee you saved at least $4k by doing it yourself!

Kate@TwentySixToLife July 7, 2011 at 12:05 PM

It's looking good to me! I can't imagine what that budget would have been if you hadn't done it all yourself.

waldobungie July 7, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Looking good! Your budget is awe-inspiring! We've been working on our lawn for awhile and it doesn't look nearly as good as yours!

Jordan@the2seasons July 11, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Wow this looks great. I am sure you like to spend lots of time outside since it is pleasant. I can feel your pain with all the hard work, we just finished putting in sod after prepping for a long time. Feel free to take a look.