Budget Breakdown: Our Wedding

>> 9.06.2011

Remember when I promised to keep the wedding out of the main blog until the big day passed? Well, the time has come for me to share way too many pictures of my wedding budget breakdown!

I'm still working on finishing up detailed recaps on my wedding blog, but for our purposes, I'll go ahead and give you the main steps of how I went about planning and budgeting our thrifty day....
1. We decided that it was important to have our friends and family present to witness the wedding (so eloping was out).
2. Realizing that most of those friends and family would have to travel in order to come support us, we decided to put a little extra effort into creating a nice day for them (so we had to feed them).
3.We rarely stay up past 10 PM, have the most fun in summer, and could save a ton of money by doing an off peak day so Sunday summer brunch it was (plus, breakfast food is the best)!
4. I wanted to have as much fun and as little stress as possible so hiring experienced professionals was key!

Here's just how much everything ended up costing (oh, and thanks to my very detailed budget sheet I did count every penny I could on my very detailed Excel spreadsheet- except for some potted plants that went home with my mom)...

The Venue and Rentals: $2338.03
$1,815 for 10 hours at Mercury Hall
$276.79 rental of tables and chairs
$246.24 purchased some used and some new linens

Officiant and License: $11
$0 Officiant- Lucky for us, my uncle is a judge.Ordaining a friend online was our backup plan.
$11 Marriage license- We took a free (thanks to my work's benefits plan) marriage counseling course which discounted the license down to $11.

Photography and Videography: $2,111
$2,111 for photos by Mary Sledd- I went for quality over quantity and purchased a two shooter 5-hour package without any prints, but with printing rights.
$0 for video- I came to the conclusion that the wedding would seem more magical in my head and seeing the video would make me pick things apart (yes, I'm that person). Apparently my uncle did take some video so I might watch it at some point.

The Food: $3,611.13
$3,491.13- Included food for 85 people, silverware, plates, glasses, cake cutting, table and chair setup, cleaning afterwards, and waitstaff by Whole Foods.
$120- additional tips

The Music: $700
$700- Ceremony and reception music by Greenbelt DJ with an audio file of the entire event
This is another place where the off-season Sunday morning timing really paid off for me because I was able to get a generous discount on a DJ with an amazing reputation (see #4 above). If dancing were realllly important to us, we would have probably done the Saturday night thing, but to my surprise people got out on that dance floor and had fun.

Day of Coordinator: $250
Money well spent!!! There is no way that I could have done everything myself and have gotten ready!

The Drinks: $475.38
$185- Bartender and tip including bar tables and set-up
$290.38- Misc. alcohol and non-alcoholic welcome drinks including a lot of sparkling wine that probably should have been returned but ended up with my sister...

The paper: $370.74
$126.95 for invitations
$55 postage
$18 online save-the-dates
$14.06 thankyou cards
$88 ribbon, tape, and paper for programs
$68.73 more misc. supplies
All printing was done on my home printer without any ink refills.

The Flowers: $237.30
This was one of the areas I couldn't handle spending a big chunk of money on. I decided that the venue was nice enough that I didn't need elaborate flowers for decoration and just made some carnation bunches for the tables, my bouquet, and the cake topper.

Misc. Decor: $87.52
Included: Dollar Tree vases, DIY cake stands, thank-you notes for escort cards

Cake and Pastries: $348
$225- Cake from Russell's Bakery
This was maybe the one thing I was surprisingly well under budget on! I was also happily surprised at how well they replicated the cake design that I found on Google the day before ordering the cake.
$103- Pastries and tax
$20- Tip
Notice no delivery charge... they didn't deliver so I actually had Nate pick up the cake the morning of... in his suit!
Hair and Makeup: $124.19
$124.19 Makeup supplies- I did my own makeup, but bought several products and brushes that I'm still using today.
$0 Hair- My cousin, a hairstylist, gifted me my hair styling.

Clothing: $973.58
$298- My dress (Nicole Miller via Rue La La)
$253.79- Alterations: hemming, bustle, cups, and steaming
$231.32- His suit (Tommy Hilfiger via Macy's)... which he has worn to work several times already
$53.97- His tie and shirt (Nordstrom Rack)
$64.31- His shoes (Nordstrom Rack)
$21.63- Pocket squares for him and BM
$34.33- Earrings
$16.23- Hair pin
$0- My shoes and his belt (we already owned them)

Grand Total: $11,637.87

PS I don't think that they really count as far as "wedding" costs, but:
$0- Engagement ring (family ring)
$1,372- My band
$85- His band
$TBD- Our honeymoon: Nope, haven't taken one yet.

This Labor Day weekend marked the one year anniversary of Nate's proposal. It reminded me of two things: first, of course, that I hadn't shared my wedding budget breakdown... and second, how much things can change in a matter of a year. Although I did think that we would eventually get married, I had no idea last September that I would be married within the next year- not unlike in January of 2009 when I had no clue who Nate was... or that I would be living with him 11 months later :). And with smoke across the Austin skyline and the destruction of a park that Nate and I have shared great memories in, I can't help but think how dramatically things can change  in the other direction within short time periods as well. With all of this in mind, I am so grateful that I did go ahead and put the effort into having a "real wedding." With each day ahead of us filled with the unknown, I'll always have the memories of that joyful Sunday morning in late July with my friends and family supportive and smiling. Worth $11,000+? Absolutely!

Lisa Rusczyk September 6, 2011 at 2:50 PM

What a beautiful church! I love the white with windows!

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards September 6, 2011 at 3:06 PM

What a beautiful wedding! I love the venue and it just looked like a beautiful day. I also really like the idea of a Sunday brunch wedding. Seriously so smart.

lauren @ our big fat farm wedding September 6, 2011 at 3:31 PM

I think I have already told you this, but I still think it's so crazy that we met our men the same month and year, moved in with them 11 months later, AND got engaged on the same date! The only difference is that we got married a month apart. I loved following your journey through your wedding blog, and was inspired several times while reading that blog as well as this one. Hope married life has been as splendid for you two as it has been for Jesse and I. All the best!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog September 6, 2011 at 3:46 PM

@Lauren~ Ha, I know. Our inner clocks must be synchronized!

Sarah (Mrs. Ruffled Flats) September 6, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Awesome! I wish I had written each cost down, but we bought so many little things for decorating that it was very hard to keep track. I think altogether ours was about 12-14,000, but I'm hoping it was lower. My parents paid for the food and DJ, but everything was at cost only since my mom worked at the venue and the owner wanted it to be a gift to us to not have to pay anymore than what the costs were. That helped save a lot!

We just got our wedding photos back and will be posting details about our big day on my blog soon!

Kerry September 6, 2011 at 4:03 PM

What a beautiful wedding! The day looks so fabulous and more importantly it sounds like you both had a lovely day! What could be better? Definitely worth every penny you spent! All the best in your life as husband and wife! :)

Sue @ SimonsSistaSaw September 6, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Such a beautiful wedding. A Sunday brunch sounds really fantastic and not just because it saves you a chunk of change. Congratulations to you and Nate

threeacres September 6, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Absolutely stunning! I love the idea of a Sunday brunch. I'm also digging the blue table clothes with white flowers...we did the same thing actually and I similarly DIYed the flowers. Congrats on having a beautiful day on a budget!

Sara @ Russet Street Reno September 6, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Congrats! I feel really good that I only spent about 2k more than you did, honestly if I can get even close to your thriftiness, I'm HAPPY! I wish I would've spent money for a day-of coordinator. That would've saved my parents and friends a lot of headache.

Amanda- Hip House Girl September 7, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Gorgeous! I love how you had it on a Sunday morning and how you didn't go overboard with flowers and decorations (though I LOVE those buckets on the chairs!). You looked amazing in your dress! And I'm right there with ya having the groom wear a suit that he needs anyway. I'm with Sara wishing I would have hired a day-of coordinator, but oh well. Very smart classy wedding!

Kate@TwentySixToLife September 7, 2011 at 11:23 AM

Beautiful wedding and gorgeous photos! It looks like it was the perfect day :)

the cape on the corner September 8, 2011 at 9:50 AM

it looks like a wonderful time! congrats to you guys. i loved learning about ways you can diy and save a little, and when you think it's ok to splurge.

House of Hemingway September 8, 2011 at 11:18 AM

It is truly inspiring to see how you pulled it off beautifully. I work designing wedding items and people tend to over-spend on things that I just can't see them using more than once. I'm so glad to see how you did your own make up and rather than having professionally done, you opted for doing it yourself and keeping the new products. I loved that! I especially loved that on your wedding day you looked like YOU, not like you've been sprayed tanned, sprayed made up and with synthetic hair and lashes. You looked beautiful. Congratulations!

Luce

www.houseofhemingway.blogspot.com

Livinia Redlips September 8, 2011 at 2:36 PM

It looks like a gorgeous wedding - congrats!

Shane June 6, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Great! I also want to have a cost break down when I get married! Thanks for sharing! I wish you both a happy Marriage!