Moving Towards Moving

>> 10.25.2011

Guess who has a house under contract?! We've completed the inspection and option period and, well, are pretty committed to getting this new home (next month!). The funny thing is that the day after I posted about shopping for houses and whined about being outbid on three homes over the last few months, a house came on the market in our price range... in an amazing neighborhood... with a lot of our our wants and most* of our needs!
*more on that later...

Obviously, if I showed you pictures now or went on and on about my amazing new house, a tree would fall on it or my lender would deny my pre-approved application or something and I'm just too superstitious to go that route! Anyways, this all means that it's officially time for us to start working towards the big move. After reading back over my thrifty moving tips from almost two years ago, I decided to cut back on boxes, truck space, and gas by donating a ton of stuff:

Luckily, we've been planning ahead for this move and realized another thrifty moving tip earlier this summer...

Thrifty Little Tip: Use pots for all of your new plants. Your house will still look nice when you sell, but you'll have the added bonus of bringing over a little housewarming gift to yourself on moving day. Thankfully, we thought of this back in July and potted some of our extra wedding flowers (2nd pot) so that they'll move with us (and yes, we should probably continue to rake the lawn until then).

Have any thrifty moving tips of your own?

Martina October 25, 2011 at 11:15 AM

Thrifty or time saving tips:

#1-Instead of buying packing supplies like foam peanuts etc or saving up your newspaper for weeks, wrap your plates, bowls & cups in dish towels before packing them, this way there's less chance of needing to wash newspaper grunge off the dishes when they go to their new home!

#2-Boxes can usually be picked up for free at any local produce grocer - banana boxes are a great alternative to buying boxes.

Rachel October 25, 2011 at 2:26 PM

Congrats on the home-so exciting! I agree with Martina - I usually wrap stuff in my tshirts and other clothes. It beats wasting newspaper.

Jeannine @ Small and Chic October 25, 2011 at 10:01 PM

Eek! I can't believe how fast that happened (well, to me it seemed fast...I realize it felt longer to you). I can't wait to see this next step!!!

madilla October 26, 2011 at 9:40 AM

The best tip is really eliminate as much unwanted stuff as possible. I moved more then ten times, had twice stored my belongings for a while in garages and believe me, you can SO live without the majority of your belongings. Even the memorabilia.

Jordan@the2seasons October 27, 2011 at 9:04 AM

Really label the boxes with detail. It makes knowing where everything goes on moving day much easier. Have fun with it all!

Moving Boxes October 28, 2011 at 3:55 AM

It's a lovely blog Kasey! I like your ideas. Our own new home is always beautiful. I appreciate that you have donated some of the things. It's good!

Dallas Movers October 28, 2011 at 6:55 AM

Well that is very nice, congratulations on your new home. Donating some cloths & all for saving space, that is a brilliant idea. I enjoyed reading your post.

Moving Company Reviews October 28, 2011 at 7:41 AM

Congratulation on your new home. Are you going to do the move by your own or will hire a moving company? If you don’t mind I would like to suggest you something, always do some background research on the moving company that you are going to choose. Try the online moving review sites. They can be helpful.

Tanja @ Postmodern Hostess October 31, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Congrats! (Or at least cautious congrats -- I completely understand the superstition! I was the same way when we bought our new house, and posted as little info as I could until it was a done deal.)

Good luck getting to closing day with no hiccups!

Sara @ Russet Street Reno November 6, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Wow, that is incredible! The best thing I ever did when moving is to invest in a large movers box with a hanging bar...it could move lots of hung clothes at once and then I didn't have the headache of removing hangers, getting them tangled in a regular box or trunk. Not really thrifty, but sometimes sanity is more important when you're moving. I would go back and forth, loading the box and unloading it. Loved it.