We Closed Today!

>> 11.18.2011

Who has two thumbs and two houses?? ....you guessed it! We closed on the new house today. The seller will lease back the house for another 11 days so we just walked out of the office and drove back home with a whoooole lot less money and nothing to show for it (yet, of course). I like to call it "the least exciting closing ever." Unexciting is better than stressful and crazy so I'll take it!

Not having the house doesn't mean I can't share some pictures I took while we did the home inspection, right!? Before I start, I'll be upfront with you all, this isn't much of an upgrade as most people would expect to take when buying a new home- for one, the new house is just about the exact same size as our current house. The new house is, however, in a much better location and has the potential for a future addition (current house does not). AND-AND-AND-*this is most important of all*- the new house has a bonus garage apartment in the back that we plan to use for extra income before we build the addition!

So... here it is (really bad, fuzzy pictures and all):

<street view>
You all know me- I'm probably going to be making a lot of cosmetic updates to fit my tastes and the exterior is going to need some tweaking along with a ton of other things. I'll make sure to update you on the full to-do list later!
*selling feature* There's a lot of landscaping already in place and a really nice sprinkler system.

<view of front entry>
*selling feature* I loved how this home had a designated entry space and coat closet.

<view from front door into living and kitchen/ dining>
*selling feature*  I love the original hardwood floors that go through most of the house.

<hallway to the right of the living room that leads to bedrooms and bathroom>
*selling feature* original solid wood doors

<bedroom #2 in the front of the house>

<main bathroom in  hallway>

<current master bed towards back of house>
*selling feature* double windows in almost every space

<other angle of master>
*selling feature* before we build the addition, it will be nice to have the double closets
<kitchen>
<kitchen>
<dining area next to kitchen>

<view from back door towards living room>

<back porch>

<garage apartment>
*selling feature* we should be able to rent this out easily in the $500-$600 range

<right side of apartment>

<left side of apartment>

<bathroom in apartment>

We can't wait to get those keys and get started on making this place "ours." Can you guess which projects we'll tackle first?

Sarah (Mrs. Ruffled Flats) November 18, 2011 at 5:21 PM

The house is beautiful! Congratulations! It has so much character - I can't wait to see what you do with the place. I love the blue paint in some of the rooms! Man, I'm just so excited since we will be buying our first house in a year or so - I'm living vicariously through you right now.

This should be an exciting weekend for you!

justabouthome November 18, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Congratulations. That house is super cute!

Rhona November 18, 2011 at 7:14 PM

It is a gorgeous house. Great bones, structure and layout. Excellent purchase. Can't wait to see what you guys have in store. Congrats!

Kim @ Yellow Brick Home November 19, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Oh, GOODNESS. That back garage apartment is the BEST! I'd love to use that for my own personal studio, and how awesome would it be as a guest house?! But yes, extra income from renters is also very good :)

Congrats! There is so much potential! Aside from the back apartment/garage, I also love that it has a designated entryway - something that is a MUST for our next home.

Sara @ Russet Street Reno November 19, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Let me guess, you are fixing up the apartment first?? That is so awesome that you have that extra income possibility! I love the doors and floors in your new house, they are lovely.

Tovah November 21, 2011 at 10:33 AM

wow that back apartment is so cool! The new house is lovely--wood floors everywhere! My guess is that you'll start in on the kitchen? Well, I would start in on the kitchen--that breakfast bar is not my taste. But what a great house! How exciting:)

Mrs. Chic November 21, 2011 at 3:07 PM

The house has so much potential! I love the hardwoods!!

Looking forward to seeing you and your hubby work your magic :)

Melissa November 22, 2011 at 1:52 PM

Yay! Congratulations! Those hardwood floors are beautiful! I wouldn't cover them up with as many rugs as the current homeowners! :) Happy Thanksgiving!

Jordan@the2seasons November 29, 2011 at 10:05 AM

This house is so cute and looks like lots of charm. Right up my alley. Can't wait to follow along.

Amanda- Hip House Girl December 15, 2011 at 12:37 PM

I LOVE IT!!! I LOVE that it has a mother-in-law (do they call extra little apartments that in your parts?). Our somedayfuturewayoffinthedistance plan is to finish our basement for that purpose.

I seriously LOVE the house. Congratulations!