Painting

>> 12.02.2011

As I've mentioned before, I'm not the greatest painter, but I'm probably worse at deciding on paint colors! Check out the assortment of samples I went through while deciding on the colors for the living room, dining room, and kitchen:

Trust me, even at $3 each, the money is well spent in my case! I couldn't believe how horrible some of the  brown shades looked when up on the wall (especially in the bathroom...).

I went ahead and took the opportunity to test out two different levels of Valspar paint quality and I must say that the $10 more a gallon paint went on more smoothly, but needed just as many coats as the cheaper stuff so I'm not sold on it.

We also splurged on the Benjamin Moore Advance paint (Cloud White) for the trim. I'll let you know in a few weeks if I think the $50/ gallon paint was worth it.

While the fancy paints aren't exactly my favorites, I do have to endorse the Shur-line paint edger. It takes a bit of practice to keep it from dripping, but it must take 1/4 the time to paint around the trim and ceiling with this thing compared to using tape and a paint brush!

Anyways, back to the colors... We used a really unscientific way of making our selections:

1. I wanted a light neutral for the living room and Nate said that he was over the gray paint that we have all over the first house so I looked out for something that leaned in the brown direction.

2. Nate wanted a pop color somewhere in this new house and I thought a blueish color would look good with the light living room, wood floors, and black and white kitchen/ bath.

3. We found a bunch of grey-brown-blue colors and went to Lowe's three times because the samples weren't working.

4. I used Google images to make sure the colors I was leaning towards weren't too crazy on other rooms (and found one in a very chic blogger's house- sold!).

5. Finally, we got the kitchen paint color customized because buying paint samples was getting expensive.

And here they are:
(now)

(before)

The living room is Valspar's Woodrow Wilson Putty and the kitchen/ dining is a variation of Valspar's Ocean Storm.

FYI, I'm absolutely in love with the dark grey-blue color and glad we took a risk by going bolder. More pictures next week when we have some furniture moved in!

PS We're thinking about going browner in the bedroom. Anyone have a brown bedroom? How do you like it?

Kate December 2, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Very nice! I also buy a million samples before deciding on a final paint color. I'm way too picky to just slap a color up on the walls and call it a day without looking at all the options :)

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards December 2, 2011 at 9:53 AM

This looks SO good. I love the deep color and the contrast with the trim color. Really lovely!

Hilary December 2, 2011 at 9:56 AM

I have BMs Indian River in my bathroom and love it.

Two Grad Students and a Pittie December 2, 2011 at 10:55 AM

loving the colors. totally changes the room around!

Amy @ Lovely Nest December 2, 2011 at 1:36 PM

I have a brown bedroom and I'm really wanting to paint it. It's just too dull and I want something lighter and brighter. It's all personal preference though! I love the dining color you chose!

m @ random musings December 2, 2011 at 3:36 PM

i'm super excited to hear the review of the BM trim paint! soooo frustrated right now with how many coats it takes to get "white"

And I'm also terrible about picking paint. Usually I can bum a paint color off a friend and just move on to whether I want it darker or lighter. The paint chips are useless.

Amanda @ Our Humble A{Bowe}d December 2, 2011 at 6:13 PM

I don't have brown in my bedroom, but I highly recommend Benjamin Moore's Raisin color. It's the best brown. I have it in my office and it's awesome! Warm and cozy and not muddy.

Mrs. Chic December 5, 2011 at 3:55 PM

I love the colors you chose!! I adore Woodrow Wilson Putty, glad it works so well in your home too!!

I love your floors!!

henzy December 6, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Love the gray.. I feel it adds drama to the room. we chose a similar charcoal gray in our living room.. we went with Behr.

miniannalee December 7, 2011 at 9:02 AM

I love the your new paint choices. The gray is my favorite (I like neutral colors) I think my favorite part of your house is the beautiful floors. I can't wait to see all the photo updates.

painting contractors Denver July 5, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Mixing paint colors can be difficult but it sure can be fun to do especially if you are interested in coming up with unique color combinations for your living space. I like the outcome of your home painting project, thanks for sharing!