- The sheet vinyl that we ripped up caused mold issues and we wanted to go with something that would allow the flooring to breath a bit more.
- The stained look is popular with our target tenants.
- We knew that we could DIY the project and do it for less $$ than most other options.
- It would be a pretty green choice: no ugly temporary flooring to rip up in the future.
- If we hated it, we could always put a different flooring choice over it.
Obviously, paint would have been an almost equivalent choice, but we liked the *idea* of a more textured surface. We went with grey because the bathroom tiles were already a darker greyish tone and it seemed like a good idea at the time.
To stain the floors, we basically followed the instructions on the back of the cans:
- clean floor
- etch floor (found in the paint section next to stain)
- wait overnight
- clean/ dampen
- spray stain
- wait overnight again
- spray stain again and roll to even out look
- wait overnight AGAIN
- spray stain in random spots that we missed
- wait overnight again and thank ourselves for being smart enough to make this a weekday project instead of a weekend project
- use sealer
etching using bug chemical sprayer:
Don't worry, it took about 45 seconds to realize that we had forgotten to put on our masks!
The individual steps were pretty simple. I did spray some stain on the walls a couple of times, but we fixed that issue by using a roller in the edges. Oh, and there was the fact that we are not experienced/ artistic enough to make anything close to a natural-looking texture on the floors:
And, another re-do...
Luckily, there was the flat-look option that we ended up achieving after rolling out the stain:
Also, we're seriously considering going ahead and buying an apartment-sized stove (thanks to your persuasive comments). The electrician is coming this afternoon so we should know if it's even possible today.