The (Garage) Apartment- Ready to Rent!

>> 8.16.2012

For those of you paying close attention... I've symbolically changed the title of this 10-part series because this place finally feels more like an apartment than a garage! I think I'd actually live in the place- which was the goal for our improvements in the first place. Let's take a look at the changes:

As I mentioned in my post yesterday, we replaced the rock "path" to the door with a much more functional path that avoids cutting through our yard.

We painted the yellowed walls and trim, replaced the AC unit, tore out the already ripped sheet vinyl flooring, stained the floors, replaced the baseboards, updated all of the electrical outlets, and added new blinds to the doors. Oh, and it's impossible to show the horrible mold smell in the blog, but it's gone as well!

We did the best that we could with the tiny kitchen area by removing the super narrow built-in (too narrow for a plate), replacing the useless upper cabinet, adding a new outlet to the far wall for the refrigerator, and painting the whole thing.

I tried to unify the kitchen wall by adding shelves above the kitchen cart and refrigerator (shelves which took me three trips to Ikea to get right). The cart was a great $20 Craigslist find that I painted in the same white as the cabinets.

Yes, the before cabinet is was as small as it looks in the picture- you couldn't fit a plate in it either!

We needed to replace the sink faucet because it was leaky, but went ahead and changed the pulls and hinges on the cabinets to make them look more like a set.

There was another broken faucet in the bathroom in addition to the yellowed paint so we swapped everything out for a fresher look. I'm not thrilled with the new shelf, but we were rushing somewhat to get that up. The light green paint was an attempt to tie in the shower tile and kitchen countertop, but I think the dark shelf takes away from the airy feel I was going for.

It was interesting going through this process with the mindset of a landlord. There were definitely a few choices (like buying cheap blinds) that I would never make for design purposes, but decided to do based on the goal of actually turning a profit one day....

Speaking of profit, we have a bit of a happy ending to this story! After contacting a few people directly based on their housing wanted ads, we decided that things were moving a little slowly and put up a descriptive ad with a couple of pictures on Monday. By Monday night, we had six showing scheduled for Tuesday. One of the people has already turned in an application and Nate did the background check yesterday. With a little more luck, it looks like we'll have a lease signed this weekend ($650/ month with all bills paid).

I'm a little scared to take a look at the receipt totals right now, but you know I'll be back with a budget breakdown at some point soon.


Hilary August 16, 2012 at 9:31 AM  

It looks fantastic, I would've lived there as a student for sure. It doesn't look like you used less expensive materials, rather it's very clean, fresh, and functional. Great job!

Lane August 16, 2012 at 10:41 AM  

It turned out great! Will be interested to hear the budget breakdown.

The Brick Cottage August 16, 2012 at 1:04 PM  

It looks great! Best of luck finding a renter!

the cape on the corner August 20, 2012 at 1:58 PM  

i love the clean look of the stepping stones!

Post a Comment

I love reading your thoughts and ideas! Keep them coming!!

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by 2009

Back to TOP