Commitment Issues in the Living Room

>> 9.05.2012

Man, do I have a hard time committing to decorating choices! It's especially tough when they either: a) cost a lot of money, or b) will take up a lot of time. In the living room, I wanted to do some sort of patterned/ colorful curtain to add some life into the room, but after searching for a while, I could not commit to anything :(. Buying two sets of IKEA's RITVA curtains was very easy for me to do because the total cost was $50 for both windows and the white panels would fit in with any other room if I do find more exciting curtains for the living room down the road.

I just had to do something because we never opening the broken Roman shades that the old owner left behind and I felt like we were wasting a big part of what I loved about this house- the natural light!

See, the room is a lot brighter with the curtains opened!

Yeah, and now only one set is hung. I'm a bit worried that the high and wide curtains will be too much with the future built-in tv unit (that will be my Christmas gift this year!).

If curtains are too much, I could just replace the shades instead...

I've also thought about keeping the existing shades for decorative purposes (they don't really open and shut easily)... but again, I'm not sure about it:

The good news is that, as boring as this side of the living room is, I've at least added some interest to the entry side of the space by setting up an overscale thrifted museum poster.

Yes, I know, a blue pillow + one poster does not make for an interesting space. I'd love some suggestions and opinions on where I should be going: curtains or not? shades? prints? I have anonymous comments (and no security code) enabled so I welcome some constructive snark!

ETA: (In response to Heather's comment below) The dining room opening from the living room:

Heather September 5, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Are you opposed to color on the wall? I'd keep the curtains, paint the walls, and bring in color with throw pillows and accessories. If you throw in patterned curtains with no other color in the room it might seem inconsistent.

If you want to keep a muted color palate it might help to increase the texture in the room. Curtains with a raised pattern and sheers, layered rugs, pillows, etc.

I'm not a designer, so that's just my layman's take on the room. :)

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog September 5, 2012 at 12:34 PM

@Heather~ I like the idea of adding texture; it seems like something I can do without committing to one color/ design! Obviously, I'm a little afraid of color too... but there is a really bold blue-grey in the kitchen/ dining room. I've added a picture of the dining room opening from the living room to the post above.

Elisa @ What the Vita September 5, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I like the curtains - you can liven up your living room with an awesome, graphic rug. Adding a rug to our living room DID WONDERS and added so much.

...Liz... September 5, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I agree with the above. A rug would be awesome in this space to make the space more defined. Another idea would be to add grey-blue curtains to the room...so the dinning room ties in with the living room and get rid of the shades, just adding some color with pillows and prints and then just get a neutral rug. Would make the space more inviting and you could always change out the pillow or print later on if you get bored.

G September 5, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Don't spend a lot of $ or make any dramatic decisions until you get your built-ins built! that may change how you decorate the room dramatically. If you can't possibly wait, I really like the different textures comment from Heather;) Layering things that can be used in other rooms if they don't work out w/the built-in.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog September 5, 2012 at 3:23 PM

@Elisa & Liz~ An amazing rug would be great! I feel like I'm stuck with either not finding what I want or finding something that would be a big investment. I love the idea of blue curtains as well! I wish IKEA sold them for $50 and they'd be up already!

@G~ Good point. The built-in is really important to us because we need the storage so it will take priority over other large expenses.

Lisa Rusczyk September 5, 2012 at 5:05 PM

We have similar curtains and rods. I love them.

Cindy September 5, 2012 at 10:44 PM

I really like the curtains and the height they give the room. Maybe add some bamboo shades for a little texture? It looks like you are off to a great start...it's amazing what pillows, rugs & accessories will do.

Comeca Jones September 6, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Oh boy you have some decisions to make! I am havin the same problem hence no reveal of our new living space . Maybe I will wait to see what you do....lol

Steve September 19, 2012 at 3:37 AM

I love what you did with your living room. The curtains and blinds made it a bit homey and cozy.

Oonafey October 3, 2012 at 3:00 PM

I like the curtains. I think they add a lot of warmth to the space. I agree with the patterned rug idea, too. Ikea has some inexpensive variations, under $200. Rug USA also has less expensive rugs, but they seem to be nylon construction and I wouldn't know about the quality. Some fun oversized, patterned pillows would really help too. World market and HomeGoods have great options for little money.