Living Room Rug Change

>> 10.04.2012

I'm back with more commitment issues in my living room! I really appreciated your suggestions on my last living room post- I definitely think that I need a little texture/ color/ pattern action in there. Yesterday I picked up a new 8 x 10 rug off of Craigslist that I thought might start leading me in the right direction:

It's an old Kaley Bloom Rug from Pottery Barn in orange. I paid about 1/3 of retail price, but I can't say exactly how much right now because Nate doesn't know and hates the rug (...drama!). Remember way back when I bought an 8 x 10 Pottery Barn Henley Rug and 8 x 10 West Elm Jute Bouclé Rug for a total of $60. Well, now Nate thinks all rugs are that cheap. Oops!

Back to the indecisiveness: What do you think about it compared to the jute rug?

I did take the pictures in bad lighting, but it does seem like the orange rug brings out more orange tones in the floor. Luckily, it wouldn't be a big deal if we didn't end up using it in the living room because we need to start from scratch in the bedroom anyways. Thrifty Little Tip: ALWAYS have a backup plan for your Craigslist purchases. Remember, you can't return them!

Sorry about the dog butts!

And a rarely seen angle (with horrible lighting):
I'm still working on that corner with the x-benches. Looking at this picture, it's crazy to see all of the things that I bought off of Craigslist- the dining table and chairs (separately), the Parson's desk, the x-benches, the rug, and the coffee table. It's an addiction!

Bonus: the seller through in two pillows, but I ended up paying $10 for the two of them because I had just came from the ATM with a bunch of twenties and I'm apparently too nice.
I think that having an orange rug and pillows in the same room would be too much for me, but I might use them if we switch back to the other rug.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this rug! I'm going to clean it this weekend and see if Nate starts to warm up to it some more.

Heather October 4, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I really like it. The pattern doesn't compete with the rest of the room and it makes it look cozier and more finished.

Is Nate's issue the color or the fact that the pattern includes flowers?

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog October 4, 2012 at 10:54 AM

He said that it's an old lady rug (flowers). It also needs a good cleaning to freshen it up. I'm guessing color is a factor as well because he liked that the other rug matched -blended in with- everything.

He also hated the dining room table when we first got it, but likes it now. If it's really a good fit with the room, I'm sure I can get him to like it.

Mrs. Chic October 4, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I'm not sure how I feel about the rug just yet, the only thing I can think of is to pull it from under the sofa more, just so you can see it he'll like it more. I wish I was more helpful :(

On the plus side I do like the pillows :)

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards October 4, 2012 at 12:27 PM

I really like the rug. And the pillow for that matter. But if he hates them, it's probably worth a change. Good luck!

Kasey October 4, 2012 at 1:22 PM

@Mrs. Chic~ That's a good point. It's in a bit of an awkward spot. Maybe we'll end up compromising by using the pillows in the living room and the rug under the bed in the bedroom?

@Kim~ thanks!

Liz October 4, 2012 at 7:40 PM

I definitely like the thought of incorporating pattern in some way -- either through the rug or through the pillows. I think the orange rug has a lot of potential in the living room, but I think part of your/Nate's hesitation is that the current pillows (and lack of accessories) don't complement it as well as something else would. The rug looks nice, but it doesn't yet look intentional (if that makes sense). It all comes down to your style preference, but something like this could look nice: http://pinterest.com/pin/13721973835456193/ Orange and teal is a pretty color combo (though definitely bold!), and I've heard from several sources that you should have a color repeated three times throughout a room for it to look intentional. I agree that the orange pillows would probably be too much because the patterns would compete (though I could be wrong, maybe it would work), but maybe you guys already have (or will find down the line) some orange accent pieces, vases, etc. I also think the jute rug + orange pillows would work, but I think the same thing would hold true about repeating the orange somewhere else in the room. I would suggest perusing houzz.com and pinterest.com and looking for images of rooms with orange rugs to get some ideas of what direction to go in. That also might help persuade Nate since guys often can't image the end result! I think the rug could also look nice with your table and chairs (http://www.westelm.com/products/lattice-dhurrie-b856/?pkey=crugs-flooring) though that does make cleaning up crumbs a bit more work.

Liz October 4, 2012 at 7:43 PM

On a different note, I really like the look of that "rarely seen angle"! I love how you filled the space on both sides of the doorframe, and I love the pieces you used to fill the space :)

Meg @ House Notes,  October 4, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Love the pattern of the rug, not so sure about the color. The orange is bringing out the orange of the furniture and the floors so that it all kind of blends in an almost washed out way. It's not acting like the POP of color that room needs. I'd go for a cool color instead of a warm one to provide the contrast - my instinct is thinking blue.Maybe look at how YHL pulled off their rugs for inspiration?

Comeca Jones October 5, 2012 at 5:52 AM

I love the rug but I am the pattern queen!

kb October 5, 2012 at 9:57 AM

@Liz~ Great points! I think the rule of three is a good one. It almost seems like I should have gone with a yellow patterned rug to go with the yellow on the other side of the room.

@Meg~ I agree, I do think the orange might be blending more than popping, but the bad lighting isn't helping anyone either. I'm leaning towards using it in our bedroom because the floors are more of a darker brown (they weren't refinished when the living room floors were).

@Comeca Jones~ I wish I were the pattern queen... maybe I could pull off these looks better ;).

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog October 5, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Oonafey October 5, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I think it's pretty fab. And the orange goes well with the blue pillows you already have. I would leave the new pillows and the blue pillows and hit up HomeGoods for some orange AND blue pillows. Boom - color scheme.

Oonafey October 5, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Oh, and the curtains looks awesome now that both sets are up. Good call.

Deborah October 9, 2012 at 7:21 AM

I love the rug. I think it adds dimension and interest to the room big time!

And I'm a huge neutral girl.

kristi.w. October 11, 2012 at 8:43 PM

I like the rug! But I think maybe the couch makes the room feel unbalanced because it's so close to the corner. I don't know how much space you have on the other side, but maybe you could move it to the left, away from the corner and then add an end table and statement lamp or something like that to anchor the corner. What do you think? I really like the room already though.

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog October 12, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Oonafey & Deborah~ Thanks for the rug love! I'm still loving it too, but I do wonder if the orange would work better in my bedroom...

@kristi~ I like the statement lamp idea, I'm officially on the hunt!

Lizzie Ann Designs October 15, 2012 at 4:05 PM

I think the orange rug works well with the room! all you need are some pillows that pick up the rest of the rooms colors...like a slate blue, sage green, golden yellow, grey or creams or maybe even throw in a darker shade of orange to make the room more sophisticated. I'm pretty sure once you play around with it your husband will come to like that new rug! :)

Jo Ro October 17, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I think I like it.

I would totally use those pillows in there too, with the dark ones, and take out the tye dye ish ones.

I would also get some patterned curtains, with orange accents.